Our four-legged friends have their tough moments too as throughout life’s journey, our four-legged friends also suffer from health issues and disorders. To most pet owners, their pets are like their children, and they will do anything they can to keep them healthy. Pet lovers want the best for their pets and spend a lot of time and money to improve their quality of life. It’s never easy when a pet gets sick and when that happens. loving pet parents search for the best possible solutions. Relatively new on the scene, pet parents are beginning to reach for an all-natural solution for their pets, CBD or cannabidiol.
This article will explain everything you need to know about the effects of CBD on pets. Before moving to the effects and possible benefits, first let’s cover the basics of CBD before offering tips and recommendations.
What do I need to know about CBD for pets?
CBD is a cannabis compound, an all-natural cannabinoid present in the cannabis plant. This does not mean however, that CBD is dangerous to use or will cause addiction or a “high” in your pooch. CBD is different from THC, which is the compound of the cannabis plant responsible for those effects. THC has psychoactive effects on users while CBD does not. That is why CBD is legal and safe to use. Additionally, both humans and pets have an endocannabinoid system, or ECS, which is involved in most biological processes including a role in sleep, memory and the immune system.
What makes the product legal in the USA is the fact that it contains less than 0.3% THC. Some European countries like Switzerland have different laws and the Swiss country allows up to 1% THC and offers what some insist are the best CBD oils and extracts for pets.
What are the effects of CBD on pets?
Listed below are the most common:
- CBD is a powerful painkiller and can help manage pain caused by cancer symptoms as well as other ailments.
- CBD has the ability to aid against seizures, ticks and various types of spasms by interacting with the receptors of the ECS and releasing its anticonvulsant properties.
- CBD can reduce anxiety and stress and even assist in the management of many other mental conditions. The latest research proves that, just like in humans, CBD helps pets who suffer from stress. Managing the symptoms of such conditions is really important for the overall health of the pet since anxiety can bring on other health issues. In dogs, for instance, it can manifest as aggression, tremors, barking, chewing objects, and other signs. CBD boosts the serotonin levels in the brain which leads to improvement in mood therefore, helping pets feel less anxiety and fear.
- CBD’s most important effect is its anti-inflammatory effect as this property helps in treating a wide range of health issues.
- CBD can stimulate appetite and is quite successful in controlling nausea and vomiting making it a useful all-natural antiemetic option for our pets, one without the negative side effects (i.e. diarrhea, hypotension) brought on by medications.
- CBD is showing promise in slowing tumor growth and managing cancer symptoms.
These are only 6 of the benefits of CBD on pets. Talk to your veterinarian and discuss whether this natural option can help your pet live a longer, healthier and happier life by your side.